PHP tutorial for beginners and professionals teaches PHP scripting. Our PHP course helps you master the language.
This PHP lesson covers introduction, control statements, functions, array, string, file handling, form handling, regular expression, date and time, object-oriented PHP, math, PHP MySQL, PHP with Ajax, PHP with jQuery and PHP with XML.
What is PHP ?
PHP is a server-side, open-source, interpreted scripting language. Web development is easy with PHP. So it’s used to make web apps (an application that executes on the server and generates the dynamic page.).
PHP was created in 1994 by Rasmus Lerdorf and released in 1995. On November 28, PHP 7.4.0 was released. Some PHP points to note:
- PHP stands for Hypertext Preprocessor.
- PHP is an interpreted language, i.e., there is no need for compilation.
- PHP is faster than other scripting languages, for example, ASP and JSP.
- PHP is a server-side scripting language, which is used to manage the dynamic content of the website.
- PHP can be embedded into HTML.
- PHP is an object-oriented language.
- PHP is an open-source scripting language.
- PHP is simple and easy to learn language.
Why use PHP
PHP is a server-side programming language used to develop MySQL-based dynamic web apps.
- It handles dynamic content, database as well as session tracking for the website.
- You can create sessions in PHP.
- It can access cookies variable and also set cookies.
- It helps to encrypt the data and apply validation.
- PHP supports several protocols such as HTTP, POP3, SNMP, LDAP, IMAP, and many more.
- Using PHP language, you can control the user to access some pages of your website.
- As PHP is easy to install and set up, this is the main reason why PHP is the best language to learn.
- PHP can handle the forms, such as – collect the data from users using forms, save it into the database, and return useful information to the user. For example – Registration form.
Features of PHP
PHP’s simplicity and open source make it popular. PHP features include:
PHP scripts run faster than JSP and ASP scripts. PHP’s own memory reduces server workload and loading time, resulting in faster processing and improved performance.
PHP code and software are free online. You can develop all PHP versions for free. Free to download and use.
Familiarity with syntax:
PHP syntax is simple. It’s used by programmers.
HTML elements and script can easily contain PHP code.
PHP supports Windows, Mac, LINUX, and UNIX. PHP applications written for one OS can run on others.
PHP supports MySQL, SQLite, ODBC, etc.
PHP provides preset error reporting constants to generate runtime notices. E ERROR, E WARNING, E PARSE, etc.
Loosely Typed Language:
PHP variables can be used without a datatype declaration. It will be taken automatically at execution time based on its data type.
Web servers Support:
PHP works with Apache, Netscape, Microsoft IIS, etc.
PHP is a secure website language. Multiple security layers prevent threads and attacks.
PHP can do the same work as long scripts in other computer languages. It has greatest control over websites, so you can easily make modifications.
A Helpful PHP Community:
Developers routinely update documentation, tutorials, online assistance, and FAQs. Benefits include learning PHP from communities.
PHP is popular for web development. PHP easily creates dynamic webpages. But you must have the basic the knowledge of following technologies for web development as well.
- XML and JSON
HTML – HTML is used to design static webpage.
CSS – CSS helps to make the webpage content more effective and attractive.
Installation of PHP
To install PHP, we will suggest you to install AMP (Apache, MySQL, PHP) software stack. It’s for all OSes. Below are AMP options:
- WAMP for Windows
- LAMP for Linux
- MAMP for Mac
- SAMP for Solaris
- FAMP for FreeBSD
- XAMPP (Cross, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl) for Cross Platform: It includes some other components too such as FileZilla, OpenSSL, Webalizer, Mercury Mail, etc.
If you’re on Windows and don’t want Perl, use WAMP. Similar to LAMP, MAMP is for Macintosh.
Download and Install MAMP Server
How to install XAMPP server on windows
We’ll install XAMPP step-by-step on Windows. Follow the below steps and install the XAMPP server on your system.
Step 1: Download XAMPP for your window using the link above.
Step 2: After downloading XAMPP, double-click the file to install it. In a pop-up box, click Next.
Step 3: Select the installable components and click Next.
Step 4: Select a folder to install XAMPP and click Next.
Step 5: Click Next and move ahead.
Step 6: Install XAMPP by clicking Next.
Step 7: A finish window will display after successful installation. Press Finish.
Step 8: Choose your preferred language.
Step 9: Use XAMPP. Start Apache, MySQL, and php locally.
Step 10: If no error is shown, then XAMPP is running successfully.